History

At MFPA Leipzig GmbH, tradition meets innovation. By 1956, the only external office of the Institute for Industrial Construction of the German Construction Academy had already dedicated itself to do experimental research into raw and construction materials — then under the control of the Ministry of Development, later the Ministry of Construction, in the former GDR. The goal was to develop standard construction methods and to promote industrial construction using prefabricated components.


In 1960 and 1962 the Institute developed its profile in the fields of civil and underground engineering, and eventually became the “Institute of Civil and Underground Engineering of the German Construction Academy”. Prior to the “Autumn of Change” in 1989, the number of employees had risen to around 350, of which around 80 were employed in Engelsdorf. With the end of the GDR, the Construction Academy was eventually dissolved — there was now a demand for new approaches and concepts.


On 1 January 1992, MFPA Leipzig was created as a subsidiary of the Saxon Ministry for Sciences and Arts — with 130 employees it was, at that time, the largest Construction Institute in the new German federal states. At that time, its areas of activity included materials, structural engineering, experimental structural mechanics, structural fire protection, building physics and geotechnics. Furthermore, a close and fruitful collaboration was developed with the civil and industrial engineering departments at the University of Leipzig.


Following the conversion of MFPA Leipzig to an independent, non-profit organisation in 1998, MFPA Leipzig GmbH was finally founded in 2001, with an initial workforce of 59 employees. The five technical business divisions established in 2007 have since been supplemented by a sixth — Research, development, modelling. This not only allows for intensive collaboration with universities and universities of applied science, but also reflects the dynamic, innovative and professional orientation of the company and its 120 employees.